She Dreamed A Dream: Modern Day Inspiration Susan Boyle

This video went live on April 11th and has had 12 million views. Forty seven year old Susan Boyle debuted in Britain's Got Talent this past Friday and pulled the biggest stunner since Paul Potts did the same thing on Britain's got talent several years back. 

She dreamed a dream.


This is what the American version of the show is missing -- we have an "age requirement."  I'm sorry, but somehow the greatest stories are of those who have lived a life of many years and then have a dream happen and live another life with the dream they have dreamed.  People should be measured by the capital of their experience as well as life expectancy.  Life expectancy is only expectancy not a guarantee anyway.


This story is great because SHE dreamed a dream and didn't let the discouragement get to her.  Her live has begun and she's 47 years old.  Wow! Wow! Wow!


So many times, I feel like I can personally relate to Susan Boyle as my whole life transformed completely on December 3, 2005 - the first day I began blogging.  Though not as rapid or visible as Susan Boyle's transformation on stage -- still, transformations happen.


Just saw "Yes Man" with Jim Carrey last night and this has the same theme.  What if Susan didn't say "yes" to this competition? What if she didn't risk it.  What if she walked off the stage due to the snickers and those making fun of her?


It is one thing to dream, it is another thing to take your place at the podium, amidst sneers and jeers and follow that dream to make the world a better place.


Right now, I'm reading The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Alone 1932-1940.  Before World War 2 - people considered his career over and called him a "has been."


He was ridiculed -- boo'ed off the stage multiple times. 
His own son was embarrassed. 
When he got up in Parliament, people left in droves. 
He was ridiculed for standing up against Hitler's persecution of the world and was one of the few not involved in the appeasement group think of the times.

I see in Susan Boyle that same stalwart British grit of "I am here for a purpose, this is who I am."

None of us are perfect, but we all have dreams. Perhaps this is especially sentimental to me because of my lifetime dream of being an author of multiple books that help people live better lives.  I want to be a Dale Carnegie.  (I think if he were alive today, he would be a blogger.)  Yes, that sounds ludicrous -- as ludicrous as this woman stating that she wanted to be Elaine Paige.  I turn forty this April. 

So, my ludicrous dream, snickers from the audience that surely are there, and my age as well as willingness to pursue that dream -- and perhaps my dream will come true. 

Do you have a ludicrous dream?  Are you old(er)?  Do people think you cannot do it?  Then, do not think, my friend in terms of what you haven't done, but what a great story this is going to make when you do acomplish that dream!

Susan Boyle -- if you can do it, then we can too!  Great job!!

May we never be too old nor too timid to live our dreams.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Popular Posts